If you’re here wondering how to pass a drug test, we have another internet myth: water pills. Can you use them for a drug test? Will they help flush THC out of your system? Read on to discover if there’s any validity to this home remedy or if it’s just another internet myth.
What are Water Pills?
Of course, these are not literally capsules full of water, but another name for a diuretic supplement. There are plenty of over-the-counter versions, like Diurex, and there are also pharmaceutical-grade prescriptions. You might be prescribed this kind of medication by your doctor for:
- Edema – Diuretics can help reduce swelling in the legs.
- Kidney disorders – Diuretics will help your kidneys release excess water.
- Liver problems – Cirrhosis can cause fluid buildup, requiring diuretics.
- Glaucoma – Release eye pressure by reducing water retention.
- Blood pressure – Diuretics are one of the most common prescriptions for lowering blood pressure.
There are plenty of other reasons one might take water pills, as they have a range of functions in the body. The purpose of taking water pills is to increase urination and release bodily fluids more quickly than you would by drinking water.
How Do Water Pills Work?
Water pills help your body flush out salt and water. Water pills stimulate the kidneys to sodium into the urine, carrying extra fluids along with it. Sodium (salt) removes water from the blood, thereby removing excess fluid from your bloodstream as it passes through veins and arteries.
Water pills work very well as a diuretic, but if taken in excess, they can pose life-threatening problems due to the drop in potassium levels in your blood. Side effects of diuretics include dizziness, headaches, dehydration, impotence, gout, and muscle cramps.
Can You Use Water Pills to Detox THC?
Unless you are taking a tolerance break, you likely want to detox from THC to pass a drug test. You’ve probably read about activated charcoal, apple cider vinegar, or Certo to pass a test. Now you’re wondering if water pills are the magic bullet. Here’s what we know.
How the Body Processes and Stores THC
When you smoke cannabis, it enters your lungs and passes through your bronchi and alveoli. From here, it makes its way into your bloodstream and is absorbed into your soft tissues and organs. THC has a particular affinity for the brain, causing the “high” associated with weed. It also finds its way into fat cells, where THC metabolites will linger for up to 30 days.
Eating THC edibles follows a similar process, except rather than entering the lungs, it is digested by the stomach and then processed through the liver. Once the THC is used, the metabolites are stored in the body’s fat cells.
How the Body Detoxes THC
THC is only in the bloodstream for a short time. It is a fat-soluble compound, hence why it so easily binds to fat cells. These small deposits are recirculated through the body once the fat cells are used for energy, and the THC metabolites leave the body via waste. Studies show that 65% of cannabis leaves via feces and 35% via urine.
Since most drug tests are performed by urinalysis, having clean pee is especially important. This is why water pills for drug tests became a popular theory. However, while water pills will certainly increase the frequency of urination, they cannot draw out excess THC from the body’s fat cells. Therefore, taking water pills will not result in a passing drug test.
Best Options for THC Detox
Since drug tests are still an unfortunate reality for many people, it’s wise to have a plan in place in case you need to detox. The first step is to stop using all cannabis products right away. Yes, even CBD, Delta-8, Delta-10, and all other cannabinoids.
- If you have plenty of notice, let your body detox naturally. Support your system by avoiding certain foods, drinking plenty of water, getting adequate sleep, increasing exercise, and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- When there is a shorter window of opportunity to cleanse your system, invest in a detox kit to help your body flush a little faster. It’s still recommended that you keep up the healthy lifestyle habits above to support your system.
- For drug tests that come with little warning, grab a Same Day cleanser. It’s wise to keep one of these on hand in case of an emergency!
Lastly, we wish you luck on your detox journey and hope you won’t be taking a drug test anytime soon. If so, we hope this information has empowered you to make the right choice for yourself.