Marijuana Policy Project's 2012 Strategic Plan
As you can see in the strategic plan below, this year is an ambitious and bold one for MPP. If you like what you see below, would you please donate to our work? (We need to raise $4,300,000 over the course of 2012 to succeed at everything below.)
LOBBY STATE LEGISLATURES
- Enact medical-marijuana laws in Illinois, Maryland, and New Hampshire. (If we succeed at all three, the number of medical-marijuana states will increase from 16 to 19.)
- If additional funding becomes available, enact a medical-marijuana law in New York.
- Enact marijuana-decriminalization laws in Rhode Island and Vermont.
- If additional funding becomes available, improve California’s medical-marijuana law.
- Defeat all bad bills in all 50 states and D.C.
- Assist our allies in Connecticut with enacting a medical marijuana law this year.
- Assist our allies in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin with building support for medical-marijuana legislation, with the hope of passing bills in some of these states in 2013 and 2014.
IMPLEMENT, PROTECT, OR EXPAND EXISTING MEDICAL-MARIJUANA LAWS
- Implement new medical-marijuana laws in Arizona, Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, and D.C.
- Assist our allies in Hawaii, Michigan, and Montana to protect and/or expand these three states’ existing medical-marijuana laws (all three of which MPP originally helped pass).
PASS THREE STATEWIDE INITIATIVES ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012
- Pass a statewide ballot initiative in Colorado to regulate marijuana like alcohol. (The signature drive was completed in 2011.)
- Collect signatures to place medical-marijuana initiatives on the Arkansas and North Dakota ballots, and then campaign to pass both initiatives. (If MPP succeeds at passing the three aforementioned bills in Illinois, Maryland, and New Hampshire -- and then we also pass these two ballot initiatives -- the number of medical-marijuana states will increase from 16 to 21 over the course of 2012.)
LOBBY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
- Increase the number of U.S. House members cosponsoring H.R. 2306, the first-ever bill in Congress that would allow states to determine their own marijuana policies without federal interference.
- Defeat all bad bills in both chambers of Congress.
EDUCATE THE PUBLIC
- Build grassroots support through digital media, including MPP’s blog, MPP’s biweekly e-newsletter and video, and MPP’s presence on Facebook and Twitter.
- Work with MPP’s VIP advisory board and other celebrities to get our message into the news.
Note: Parts of this plan may change from time to time as the year progresses.