Indoor cultivation of cannabis is growing in popularity mainly due to its ability to produce high quality weed strainsin a number of varieties. This is because the cultivation is done by the grower in an indoor growing area where he can monitor the plants carefully and ensure that they reach their maximum potential. It allows growers to have complete control over the cultivation process, acquire full knowledge of the quality of the product and work in the comfort and security of their own property.
Differences Between Feminised and Auto flowering Seeds
While there are a wide variety of seeds available, the most popular ones are feminized and autoflower seeds. Here is a detailed summary of the two:
1. Feminized Seeds
Feminized seeds refer to cannabis seeds that are specially bred to eliminate male chromosomes so as to produce only female plants. They are also referred to as “female seeds.” Most growers are looking for cannabis buds, which they can smoke, that are present only in the female plants. The feminine cannabis plant produces considerably more working substances such as THC and CBD as compared to the male cannabis plant. While the parent plant could be considered genetically modified, the seeds themselves are completely natural as they are produced naturally through pollination.
Advantages Of Feminized Seeds
- Cultivation of feminized seeds ensures that there are only female plants in your garden which allows fast and simple cultivation of the cannabis plant. It eliminates the unnecessary work of pruning and maintaining male plants that ultimately has to be discarded.
- By making sure that only female plants are produced, feminized seeds ensure that each and every plant is producing cannabis. This ensures higher yield as the available growing space is used in the most productive way possible by eliminating the growth of male cannabis plants.
- Feminized seeds are as good as regular seeds to make mother plants. Moreover, there is uniformity in the products even when production is carried out on a large scale.
- The quality of the feminized seeds can be judged from the number of hermaphroditic plants it produces. Feminized seeds from a reputable breeder are almost 100% free from hermaphrodites.
2. Autoflower Seeds
Autoflowering seeds refer to the seeds that are produced naturally by the cannabis plant through its normal germination. They provide an easy and rewarding yield of high quality cannabis. These seeds produce plants that will change to flowering automatically without the need for change in the light cycle or removal of males. This is good for first time cannabis growers, who do not know how to adjust light cycles. In other words, autoflowering seeds don’t require the same level of complexity of care as the other cannabis seeds in order to yield a bountiful harvest.
Advantages Of Autoflower Seeds
- Autoflowering seeds yield low height plants that require less maintenance making it suitable for growers who carry out cultivation in less than ideal growing conditions, with limited space or for legal growth that carries a plant height limit.
- Autoflowering seeds enable to produce extremely fast, easy to grow cannabis plants with excellent resistance to temperature fluctuations. People that have used autoflowering cannabis seeds have reported that their harvest comes sooner, sometimes two harvests in one summer!
- These seeds are resilient and are capable of resisting mold, pests, and frost because of which they can be grown virtually anywhere almost all through the year as long as it doesn’t become too cold. This ensures reliable, timely crop everytime.
- While THC levels are quite low; CBD content in autoflower strains is quite high, making them a perfect option for medical users. CBD causes the effects of marijuana to be less intense and milder thus eliminating the psychoactive properties of THC.
Which Is Better?
You can expect high potential cannabis from good quality seeds whether they are autoflower seeds or feminized seeds. However, with passing time and experimentation, feminised seeds are being preferred more and more by growers for indoor cultivation due to its ability to produce only female plants thereby making it a simple cultivation process.
Moreover, these days most of the autoflower seeds are feminized rather than regular because although autoflower provides 100% flowering, it cannot be cloned. This means that that you have to buy new seeds every time for growing. On the other hand, in feminized cannabis seeds, you may only buy one seed and you can get as many plants from it depending on your choice since feminized seeds can actually be cloned.